Job Title: Driver / Part Time Cook
Reports to: Lead Cook
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Makes pick-ups and deliveries as necessary to facilitate Shelter operations. Unloads food and supplies, properly inventories and stores items. Assists in preparing and serving healthy, nutritious meals for residents of The Shade Tree. Prepares, seasons and cooks meats, vegetables, deserts, or other food items. Prepares hot and cold food, snacks and sack lunches as requested. Maintains appropriate health standards of food preparation, storage and service areas.
Principle duties and responsibilities
- Supports The Shade Tree in our overall mission of providing safe shelter to homeless and abused women and children in crisis and offering life-changing services promoting stability, dignity and self-reliance.
- Prepare a variety of foods following approved procedures
- Estimate food consumption and prepare meals accordingly
- Season and cook food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
- Transport food, supplies, equipment and utensils to and from storage and work areas.
- Store food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
- Portion and wrap food, or plate it directly on plates for services t clients
- Ensure clients sign-in for each meal
- Comply with all OSHA and safety requirements
- Inspect work areas and equipment to ensure conformance to established standards in areas such as cleanliness, maintenance and safety.
- Clean food preparation areas, cooking surfaces, and utensils.
- Maintains sanitation, health, and safety standards in work areas.
- Measure ingredients required for specific food items being prepared.
- Mix ingredients such as pancake or waffle batters.
- Operate large-volume cooking equipment such as grills, deep-fat fryers, or griddles.
- Verify that prepared food meets requirements for quality and quantity.
- Wash, cut, and prepare foods designated for cooking.
- Clean, stock, and restock workstations.
- Schedule activities and equipment use with managers, using information about daily menus to help coordinate cooking times.
- Serve orders to customers residents.
- Ensures compliance with state and federal regulations regarding food preparation, service and storage.
- Ensures proper sanitation of all food service areas and equipment.
- Ensures proper security of knives and other sharp objects.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and Experience Requirements
- Must possess a current Southern Nevada Health District Food Handlers Card.
- Must have current Nevada Driver’s License with a clean driving record.
- Minimum 1 year training and experience in cooking for large groups. Must possess the ability to select, prepare and serve full, healthy meals for 350 people including toddlers and elderly guests.
- Experience as a cook or assistant cook
- Ability to work well with others.
- Knowledge of standards of food preparation, serving, and kitchen procedures
- Thorough knowledge of the materials, methods, and equipment used in preparing food on a large scale
- Considerable knowledge of health hazards in food preparation and service, and of necessary precautionary measures
- Considerable knowledge of a large variety of food recipes
- Considerable knowledge of food values, menu planning, and uses for left-over food
- Knowledge of effective supervisory methods
- Ability to work from written menus and standard recipes
- Ability to plan, lay out, and assign work to a staff of skilled and unskilled kitchen workers in a manner conductive to full performance and high morale
- Ability to take inventory and keep records of foodstuffs used
- Ability to give significant assistance in planning menus, devising ways of using left-over foods, and determining quantities of foodstuffs required in preparing banquets and regular meals
- Ability to work long hours while standing
Physical Demands of Position
- Constant mental alertness and attention to detail.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to read/write/speak in English and possess excellent oral/written communication skills